Skip to main content

So You Want To Be An Animator?

So...You want to be an Animator?  " Why yes! Yes I do.

What was the driving force for your decision?
"Well let's see if I can pinpoint the exact moment. Oh! now I remember. I've always been fascinated with animation but rather than creating it I was more consumed with watching it. My father was a graphic designer and was amazed at the animation of the Smurfs cartoon. My son created stop-motion which blew my mind. My daughter is now involved with creating DIY videos. Each of them are a true inspiration for me.

Recently, I applied for a position to create closed caption for videos. The application process required me to caption three different videos. Each more complex than the last. Needless to say, I didn't pass the application process. Their words "Please do not apply again". OUCH!

The next morning, still stinging from their response, I had coffee in hand and thought about what I had learned. What could I do with this information. "Use it". So I did. I began looking for open source animation programs. I came upon Synfig.

I see you have some videos posted. Could you tell us a little about them?

I would be happy to.

The First animation, "Happy Frog" using Synfig was created after viewing a few tutorials and just playing with some basic shapes. I was getting the feel of the software and it's capabilities, while not really having any sort of story in mind.

With this first animation I was practicing with the layering, text, and sound tools in conjunction with animating the "frog" character. When  I had finished making the frame I noticed that the sound layer did not follow into the rendered file. Fortunately, Synfig has a detailed manual available online which serves as a wonderful resource which answers many questions along with their community board.


The second animation, "Flower" using Synfig was created directly while viewing the Flower tutorial on Youtube with John Lee. I needed to learn how to connect the position point of the petals with the bud so that the petals moved with the bud throughout the animation. This is really a great tutorial.

The last animation, "A Snail's Trail", is a compilation of using what I had learned while creating the first two animations. The first thing is to create the characters first and animating each character separately. Saving each character as a working Synfig file. Once the characters are created I could copy the characters onto a background layer. I could hide the character file if I was not using it in the frame I was creating. From this point I could move the characters through the frame creating the movement of each character.

I'm using Windows7 and found that saving each frame to a windows media video (.wmv) file works best for me to render a working frame. From there I use Windows Movie Maker to insert music and finalize the completed animation.

What advice would you offer to anyone who may want to try animation?

It may seem a little intimidating at first. I had no prior experience with this either. View the Synfig tutorials on Youtube.  Be patient with yourself and keep practicing.  It's a lot of fun. Keep creating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Smurf Crochet Free Pattern

  Good Morning Everyone, I wanted to create something fun. Exploring my childhood days I guess. A week ago I had created a larger version of this Baby Smurf (Benji and Barney Bigfoot) shown below. I had thoughts of making a smaller version and using up some yarn remnants. I came upon Baby Smurf, offering you this free pattern which I designed. The finished size of this doll is 6 inches without the hat and 10 inches with the hat. Size is dependent on the yarn and hook used.  So, let's get started. Materials used : 3.75 crochet hook (F-5) Yarn #4 weight     White      Blue       Black (DK-sport yarn for eyebrows and hair sprigs) Stitch markers Yarn needle Polyfil for stuffing Safety eyes size 9mm Terms and Symbols used: sc  single crochet hdc half double crochet MC magic circle (if you're not familiar here is a link for you on YouTube. INC increase DC decrease cc color change ch chain slp slip stitch ( ) completed stitch total This pattern is created in the round. Feet  make 2 us

Henny Penny Easter Chickens-Free Pattern Crochet

The pattern for these cute little hens is available for free on another site, however I wasn't able to translate the page to English. So I did my best to interpret the pattern in English using the photograph provided. This pattern is worked in the round. What you will need : 4 colors of acrylic yarn- 2 contrasting colors and 1 complimentary color, and white     The head, collar, and wings are 1 color     The body and beak are both 1 color     The comb and wattles are both 1 color     6 dots are white Hook size 3.25 mm for an overall dimension of 6" tall and 4"wide. Yarn needle for sewing pieces together straight pins for holding pieces in place black safety eyes 8mm fiberfill for stuffing stitch markers Terms used: sc  single crochet                                DC  decrease                        MC   magic circle or adjustable loop hdc  half double crochet                      INV    invisible decrease      **  repeat dc   double croc

Making an Itty Bitty Bunny and Carrot Case-Free Pattern

Making an Itty Bitty Bunny and Carrot Case. This little bunny is 3 inches tall and 1 inch wide, the carrot case is 6 inches long and 2 wide.. Using Amigurumi yarn or a sport yarn with a #2 fineness and a 2.25 hook. This is a free pattern. Bunny I began with making the head working in the round.       6 sc in a MC (magic circle) or adjustable circle. R2-  2 sc in each single crochet (12) R3-  *1 sc, 2sc in next single crochet * repeat around (18) R4-  *2 sc, 2sc in next single crochet* repeat around (24) R5-  *3 sc, 2sc in next single crochet* repeat around (30) R6-11 sc around (30) Insert 8mm black safety eyes between rows 8 and 9 R12-  *2sc, decrease 1*  (24) Using embroider floss sew nose and mouth on  and stuff head. R13- *1sc, decrease 1*  (18) R14-  Decrease around and finish off. Body Chain 15, join with a slip stitch do not twist. R1-4    sc around Divide in half at center and join with a slip stitch. F