Skip to main content

The Silent Boo

      The stage is set for a grand production. Camera, lights, action. "Wow!", you're thinking. You take a seat front and center, lights dim, actors in place. A hush falling over the entire theater as the curtain slowly goes up. Undetected by anyone, the faucet drips. Draining all the excitement and enthusiasm from your body. It's left pooling on the floor beside your chair. You attempt to pick it up so no one else slips and falls like you just did.

      That's the sort of feeling I get when I make attempts to create something I think is so grand and wonderful in my mind. You set the stage, all the right tools in place, the finished piece in your mind. Filled with excitement and fervent energy waiting to bust loose. All of a sudden "nothing"- it's gone. A voice swept across my mind like a north wind saying "you can't do that", "you're not good enough".

     Remember your first experience with being taught "coloring" in school? Seriously-teaching a child to stay within the lines. If you didn't stay within the lines it was not acceptable. That was my first experience being taught "perfection". If anything I did was not "perfect" it will never be acceptable. So there I am, being the 
first "critic" of my own works because I am the first to see the final piece.

     It was in fourth grade where my first big project evolved. The entire fourth grade was to participate in a "Young Author" contest. We were told we were making books from beginning to end. Birthing a story and creating the hardbound cover. "Oh how exciting", I remember thinking, "maybe this would be something I could be good at". Our finished books would be on display for the entire school to see and be voted on. There's some pressure for you.
     
     The project ran about 4 weeks. Every night after school I would work on it. Researching, checking the spelling and grammar.  It was finally finished. I didn't know when the votes were cast or by whom. What I did know was that my story wasn't selected. No honorable mentions given, not even a whisper in my ear of a job well done.


     This may all sound so trivial to everyone else but these are the things that we carry all our lives. Yes, it's time to shake that off and say"here I am"What others think of you doesn't matter. What does matter is what you think of "you".

     No, not everything ever written, drawn or painted is a masterpiece or a "Pulitzer Prize" winner. The important thing to remember is to "Keep Going". Don't let what others say or think keep you from the things of your heart.



   Here is my stage. This was set when I hung a shirt on my easel after it had been washed and I was allowing it to dry. It hung there for several days and I had walked in and out of that room several times not really giving any thought to the shirt at all.



the stage
     On one particular afternoon, I walked into the room for something I can't remember, when the appearance of the shirt gave me a feeling. The softness, the way it was draped over the easel, the fine stitchery of the shirt, and the feeling of loss of my beloved. The feeling was that the shirt was waiting for something-but what? All these emotions swept over me in a moments time. What a beautiful painting this would make. (No, I am not going to paint what is visible. I am going to take all those emotions and wrap them with a big gorgeous bow in my heart).


     The image that resulted in my mind was that of a wedding dress in moonlight. A wedding dress made of the finest silk and lace. To be fashioned with Victorian or Southern flavor (that is my passion). The garment stands poised on a mannequin dripping with etiquette bathed by the groom with Love's Embrace. 

1st sketch
    This is the first sketch in progress. I will post as I continue with this project. I am using a multipurpose paper which I am enjoying. I am able to create a softness that I hope to duplicate in the final painting. I am also using a #2HB pencil, the same kind the kids use for school. I am enjoying that also.


     I hope you will follow along with this project and please feel free to post your comments. Maybe you have a similar story like the one I told of. Please share your story- I would love to hear about it. I would ask one favor however, Please do not take any images from this blog to use as your own-every image created by me is copyright protected. Thanks and I hope you enjoy this posting.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Smurf Crochet Free Pattern

  Good Morning Everyone, I wanted to create something fun. Exploring my childhood days I guess. A week ago I had created a larger version of this Baby Smurf (Benji and Barney Bigfoot) shown below. I had thoughts of making a smaller version and using up some yarn remnants. I came upon Baby Smurf, offering you this free pattern which I designed. The finished size of this doll is 6 inches without the hat and 10 inches with the hat. Size is dependent on the yarn and hook used.  So, let's get started. Materials used : 3.75 crochet hook (F-5) Yarn #4 weight     White      Blue       Black (DK-sport yarn for eyebrows and hair sprigs) Stitch markers Yarn needle Polyfil for stuffing Safety eyes size 9mm Terms and Symbols used: sc  single crochet hdc half double crochet MC magic circle (if you're not familiar here is a link for you on YouTube. INC increase DC decrease cc color change ch chain slp slip stitch ( ) completed stitch total This pattern is created in the round. Feet  make 2 us

Henny Penny Easter Chickens-Free Pattern Crochet

The pattern for these cute little hens is available for free on another site, however I wasn't able to translate the page to English. So I did my best to interpret the pattern in English using the photograph provided. This pattern is worked in the round. What you will need : 4 colors of acrylic yarn- 2 contrasting colors and 1 complimentary color, and white     The head, collar, and wings are 1 color     The body and beak are both 1 color     The comb and wattles are both 1 color     6 dots are white Hook size 3.25 mm for an overall dimension of 6" tall and 4"wide. Yarn needle for sewing pieces together straight pins for holding pieces in place black safety eyes 8mm fiberfill for stuffing stitch markers Terms used: sc  single crochet                                DC  decrease                        MC   magic circle or adjustable loop hdc  half double crochet                      INV    invisible decrease      **  repeat dc   double croc

Making an Itty Bitty Bunny and Carrot Case-Free Pattern

Making an Itty Bitty Bunny and Carrot Case. This little bunny is 3 inches tall and 1 inch wide, the carrot case is 6 inches long and 2 wide.. Using Amigurumi yarn or a sport yarn with a #2 fineness and a 2.25 hook. This is a free pattern. Bunny I began with making the head working in the round.       6 sc in a MC (magic circle) or adjustable circle. R2-  2 sc in each single crochet (12) R3-  *1 sc, 2sc in next single crochet * repeat around (18) R4-  *2 sc, 2sc in next single crochet* repeat around (24) R5-  *3 sc, 2sc in next single crochet* repeat around (30) R6-11 sc around (30) Insert 8mm black safety eyes between rows 8 and 9 R12-  *2sc, decrease 1*  (24) Using embroider floss sew nose and mouth on  and stuff head. R13- *1sc, decrease 1*  (18) R14-  Decrease around and finish off. Body Chain 15, join with a slip stitch do not twist. R1-4    sc around Divide in half at center and join with a slip stitch. F